Citizenship - Life in the UK Test
We are the only South Yorkshire Test Centre for the Life in the UK Test.
This is our official page for Knowledge of Language and Life in the UK. From 28th October 2013 this is a two part requirement: Details
• Pass the Life in the UK Test
Applicants see: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/
Here are some useful contact details regarding different aspects of the test
BOOKINGS WEBSITE -You can only book via the website, please don't call the test centre!
- Helpline: 08000 154 245
- Website: www.lifeintheuktest.gov.uk
Information about Citizenship Applications
- Nationality Helpline: 0845 010 5200
- Nationality Website: www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk
Information about Settlement (Indefinite Leave to Remain) Applications
- Immigration and National Enquiry Bureau: 0870 606 7766
- Email enquiries: INDpublicenquiries@ind.homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk
Booking the Test
When you feel you are ready to book you can do this by going online to www.lifeintheuktest.gov.uk You will need your identification, a credit card and an email address. When booking the test it is advised you do so at least two weeks before you would like to sit the test. You may not sit the test within seven days of a booking being made. This allows you time to study. The test costs £50 which must be paid at the time of booking. If you are not sure whether you have to take the test or not, contact the Immigration and Nationality Enquiry Bureau on 0870 606 7766.
Before taking the test, we recommend that you study the book "Life in the UK - A Guide for New Residents". 3rd Edition. There are additional support books; "Official Practice Questions & Answers" and "Study Guide" All of these books can be bought from our centre.
Arriving to Take the Test & Directions
Directions to test centre by bus: Please take the 3 or 4 and ask the driver to let you off at Washington Road which is half way up Cemetery Road. You will need to walk up the remainder of Cemetery Road.
Take the 22 and get off at the Stag public house on Psalter Lane. Our building is the other side of the mini roundabout
Here are some pointers for your test day:
- Please do not bring children or babies as we have no childcare facilities.
- We have free parking at the centre for test candidates
- Remember to bring the Identification that you stated on the booking website (Acceptable Identification, must be original not a copy: Passport, Biomentric Resident Permit, Full UK Photo Driving Licence, Provisional UK Photo Driving Licence, Travel Document, Immigration Status Document)
- You must bring proof of postcode (utility bill, bank statement etc).
- If you are a married woman and you want to be registered in your married name, but your Identification is in your maiden name, please bring your UK marriage certificate. If you have changed your name by UK deed poll you must bring this document.
- If you have any disabilities that require additional equipment, facilities or help please inform us when making your booking.
- If you have a letter from the Home Office with a Reference number on it, please bring this letter with you. If you only have an online bank statement then print it out and go into your bank and ask them to stamp it to confirm its authenticity.
There are 24 multiple choice questions, of which around 17 or 18 must be answered correctly for a pass. The test is computer based. You will get your result straight after the test. The test certificate is valid for life. You will be able to practice using the computer before the test and you will be able to choose various screen fonts and colours to help you read from the screen better. You will be able to listen to the questions being spoken and the possible answers (in English only) by using headphones. Full guidance is available on the test website www.lifeintheuktest.gov.uk
Rebooking or cancellation of the test
You can change you test date by going online to the test website. If you do this more than 7 days before your test there is no charge. If you cancel within 7 days or do not show up for the test you will lose your £50 test fee and will have to re-book and pay again. If you have made errors in the details you used to book the test then you will be able to change these up to 7 days before the test.
Revision Book & Guide
The book "Life in the UK - A Guide for New Residents" can be bought from our centre. We also sell the official Home Office revision guide that includes test questions.
Preparation for the Test
To help you prepare The Stationary Office have prepared a video which can be accessed by clicking this link Helping Candidates Prepare