Best Training

9 Westbrook Court

Sharrow Vale Road

Sheffield S11 8YZ


English & Maths


We offer courses and tuition at reasonable prices for both subjects so you can study for a qualification at level 1 or level 2 accredited by OCR.

Level 2 is equivalent to GCSE grades A-C. We can offer exams for these qualifications at various times during the week.  For advice on courses or to book an exam please contact the centre.


B1 English Test CEFR

c&g logo  City & Guilds Entry Level Certificate in International ESOL Diploma B1 (Entry Level 3)*


We currently have no planned exams for 2015

Required from 28th Oct 2013 for Settlement/ILR or Naturalisation - See Home Office guidance

The City & Guilds IESOL qualification is approved by the UK Border Agency as satisfying the English CEFR requirment for applicants for Settlement or Citizenship at B1 Level (it also has no expiry date unlike many other of the qualifying exams*)

We offer either training courses leading to the final exam, or for candidates who feel they already have the skills, an exam only option.

Exam only option (£125) includes: Registration, Exam & Postage of Certificates (1st class)

Enrolment must be 14 days before exam and City & Guilds are currently releasing results 10 days after the test date. It can take longer to get results during busy periods. 

Visa running out? The current Home Office guidance says: "You may be able to extend your permission to stay in the UK so you can prove your knowledge of English if you’re already in the UK"

If required we can also offer tuition at our centre by qualified teachers (call 07704 238438)

This Diploma is a combination of City & Guilds International ESOL (8984) and International Spoken ESOL (8985). The qualification assesses all four language skills: listening, speaking, reading and writing. You will need to pass the Spoken ESOL test (ISESOL) at B1 level and the Listening part of the IESOL. The IESOL also contains a Reading & Writing exam but you do not need to pass this to satisfy the Home Office requirements. See the UK Border Agency Guidance document.

For the Tier 1 Entrepreneur Visa you will have to pass all 4 parts. Reading, Writing, Speaking & Listening

The Diploma is approved by the UK's Border Agency as evidence of English proficiency for people wishing to study, work or live in the UK. We will need to see suitable Identification (as for the Life in the UK test) and will have to take your picture on the day of the test. Tests must be booked at least 14 days in advance and payment must be made at the time of booking.

International Spoken ESOL (8985) assesses real speaking ability through a one-to-one structured interview See a Youtube video of this test (10 minute interview)

International ESOL (8984) uses a single exam paper which covers listening, reading and writing. (2½ hours) You will need to provide either a PASSPORT or BIOMETRIC RESIDENCE PERMIT as Identification. Other ID such as Driving licences are NOT acceptable.

Brief Syllabus

Exam dates -  

No exams are currently avaialble

 Enrolment Form

To enrol please send an email to: or download this enrolment form and email to us. We will process as soon as payment is received. Click on the "Pay Now" button to pay. 

*Validity of various B1 CEFR Tests

BULATS / IELTS / TOEIC / TOEFL / Pearson PTE / Trinity ESOL = 2 years expiry

City & Guilds IESOL = No expiry (Life)

When you don’t need to prove your knowledge of English

You don’t need to prove your knowledge of English if you’re:

  • Aged 65 or over
  • unable to because of a long term physical or mental condition
  • You’ll need to provide a letter from a doctor confirming your physical or mental condition.

    You might need to prove your knowledge of the English language if you’re over 18 and applying for citizenship or to settle in the UK (known as ‘indefinite leave to remain’) unless you’re exempt.

    You can prove it by having either:

    An English qualification at B1 level

     A degree taught or researched in English


    You won’t need to prove your knowledge of English if you’re from: Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, The Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Canada, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, New Zealand, Republic of Ireland (for citizenship only), St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, USA.

    If you’re applying to settle

    You don’t need to prove it if you’re: 

    If you need more time to prove your knowledge of English

    You may be able to extend your permission to stay in the UK so you can prove your knowledge of English if you’re already in the UK.

    Guide for Settlement